App Annie is now data.ai!
But what (or who) is data.ai? Is it worth paying for the premium service? What kind of competitive edge does it provide over competitors? That’s what this guide is for. It’s divided into the following sections:
- Company overview
- Key facts
- Why data.ai
In February 2022, App Annie changed its name to data.ai.
data.ai is the global leader in consumer and market insights driving competitive advantage across all digital channels. Our analytics platform helps you develop, grow, and optimize your digital business with intelligence that fuels strategy and action. We are trusted by the world’s leading brands to help shape the future of mobile.
In the words of Ted Krantz, CEO of data.ai:
“Today we are the mobile standard which is the tip of the spear and where the market is going. However, we see a blue ocean opportunity to assemble a wider variety of digital datasets and activate artificial intelligence so that enterprises can compete at a higher level. We are proud to be the first data company to offer these unique data science capabilities.”
It’s made four acquisitions so far, and each of these companies did analytics and market intelligence extremely well. It bought Distimo (app store analytics) in 2014, Mobidia Technology (app analytics) in 2015, Appscotch (market intelligence) in 2016, and Libring (1st party analytics) in 2019.
The company is also trusted by some extremely large enterprises. Key clients include Google, Snapchat, United Airlines, Activision, Visa, Lego, Samsung and more.
The data.ai client wall
data.ai has been cited by some of the world’s leading companies across various sectors as their go-to platform for achieving their business goals:
Michael Raeford, Director of Player Experience, Jam City
Varun Vijayaraghavan, AGM Marketing, bigbasket
Toru Konno, Director, Bandai Namco Entertainment
Hideo Fujii, CEO, Demaecan
Learn more about data.ai’s customer stories.
data.ai has also been recognised by a number of publications and businesses worldwide, including being nominated in the top 100 cloud companies by Forbes and n.10 in the Technology Fast 500 for North America by Deloitte.
Each of their Intelligence products has a free tier, allowing you to test them out and think carefully before signing up to their paid-for products: data.ai’s pricing structure is highly dependent on your needs and means, so it’s in your best interest to know exactly what you need.
In a world where app store optimization can double or triple sales, you want the best intelligence there is on what works and what doesn’t. So let’s dive into the platform to help you decide, starting off with some key facts about the company.
data.ai’s timeline feature is key to understanding how app publishers are optimizing their app store presence.
data.ai key facts
data.ai is a large company not in the sense of the number of employees, but rather the amount of data it produces just how crucial it is to app marketing. Here are a few figures to chew on:
- Employees: ~400
- Founded: 2010
- Customers: 1000+
- Facebook likes: 45,000
- Twitter followers: 205,000
- LinkedIn followers: 112,000
- Total equity funding: $157M in 6 rounds
As you can tell from the stats, the company is very strong and has had an upward curve from pretty much the moment of inception. Up next: what they offer.
data.ai divides its products into two major categories: Market and Analytics. The first supplies you with intelligence and statistics of what other publishers are doing, while the second is about your app and its performance.
Confidently navigate the entire app lifecycle with data.ai Intelligence. Uncover growth opportunities across countries and categories and discover what markets are experiencing the most significant growth by analyzing app market trends based on downloads and revenue around the world.
data.ai Free Intelligence
App developers now have a platform to benchmark their apps’ performance against competitors and gain more granular insights across the app ecosystem for free. data.ai has unlocked many of its most powerful ranking reports along with a new suite of metrics at no cost to all who sign up.
Users of data.ai’s Free Intelligence platform can now view ranking and market trends of app performance (downloads, revenue, engagement), technology (SDKs), and companies. You can now understand your place in the market and compare your performance to your competitors.
Boost your app strategy with coveted dashboards, previously only available to enterprise subscribers. Among these include:
- Insights Generator — a tool for unearthing advanced competitive analysis around monetization, audience attention, stickiness, engagement depth, and growth stage
- Compare Apps Report — allowing you to benchmark directly against your competitive set
- Ratings Over Time — allowing you to understand how your (or your competitors’) ratings change over time in response to new features and app updates
These reports allow you to gain granular insights into your apps’ strengths and weaknesses as well as the apps of your competitors, which apps are stickier in your target market, and which have cultivated deep user engagement and employed successful monetization strategies.
data.ai Free Intelligence also has extensive user reviews and ratings analytics capabilities.
The paid version of data.ai Intelligence offers tons of data to look under the hood of high-performing apps:
- Downloads & Revenues for every app on iOS and Android across over 150 countries.
- Engagement metrics such as DAU/WAU/MAU, Avg Session Duration, User Retention, and Cross-App Usage (+ over 12 more metrics).
- Demographic data including Age and Gender split and user segmentation.
- App Store Optimization (ASO) tools to help optimize discoverability in the App Stores and organic acquisition.
- Advertising gives visibility on paid user acquisition campaigns. Intelligence customers can use the Ad Monetization report to identify the ad platforms on which an app is monetizing, uncover the individual advertiser apps that are placing ads in the app, and get a country view showing the app’s global ad monetization footprint.
- SDK Insights to know which SDKs apps have installed and their market share.
- Download Channel helps you understand how users discover apps prior to downloading. We can show you if paid advertising, organic searches, or an app store feature were the source of the download. Understanding the source of your downloads allows you to allocate marketing resources more efficiently.
- Web Journey reveals the user journey from the mobile web browser to a mobile app. Web Journey demonstrates the interaction between web and app while also providing insight into how users behave in each channel. For customers who are curious about the full cycle of mobile behavior, Web Journey has the answer for you.
With data.ai, you can compare apps in the market against a large set of metrics to identify trends and growth opportunities.
This data allows you to optimize your app’s store presence by optimizing your app’s downloads (be they paid or organic), revenue, engagement and retention.
This customer stories page has videos of customers, such as VSCO, who use data.ai to support its monetization, growth and partnership strategy. Watch VSCO Customer Story video.
data.ai Intelligence delves further into apps by tracking the number of active users, duration and frequency of use, data usage, revenue per user, retention rates and even market penetration. It also gives you access to estimates of demographics and cross-app usage and a whole slew of advertising estimates: from the top advertisers to country breakdowns and share of voice. On top of that, the platform enables you to compare apps, set alerts, and share reports easily.
data.ai has built-in capabilities to keep track of any change in the market and benchmark these changes against performance metrics.
There are numerous use cases for a large array of industries and personas. data.ai is mostly used to analyze competitors, improve ASO and paid UA, understand an audience base, identify potential partnerships, assess expansion into new markets and build new innovative app features. Marketing and Product functions are mostly using the platform but the data can be leveraged for a lot of different projects.
With data.ai’s revamped ASO capability, customers can understand market trends and the competitive landscape to increase confidence and certainty. Watch the video to learn more.
ASO Keywords includes keyword discovery features and reporting views.
- Discover Keywords: View up to 1,000 ranked and competitor keywords. Then, get organic keyword suggestions by typing in a seed keyword of your choice.
With our Keyword Spy feature (pictured), we’ll show you the keywords that a competitor is targeting. And, we can go deeper in assessing the keywords that your app shares with your competitor and then identify keywords that are unique to your competitor.
- Keyword Analysis: Learn about keyword rank, search volume, difficulty, and which keywords are driving your traffic share.
- Keyword Lists create blueprints for ASO Success. Some ways that you may want to organize your lists include:
- Primary keywords list: Save your primary keywords that you’re optimizing for today.
- Brainstorming list: Save keywords that you’re not quite ready to commit to.
- New version list: Save keywords that focus on a new app version into a separate list.
- Competitor Analysis: Track your traffic share and keyword rank for specific keywords among your competitive set.
- Keyword Opportunities: Visualize which keywords to try out with keyword opportunities mapped by their search volume and relative difficulty. Also, learn how the difficulty and search volume have changed over time to ensure you pick the best keywords.
- Search Visibility is a new metric that allows you to benchmark your keyword performance against the competition. It does this by illuminating the overall effectiveness of ASO efforts for your own app, a competitor’s app, or any app in the market.
- Paid Search: Insights for an app’s paid search activity. Uncover your competitors’ paid search strategies to inform your user acquisition plan. Dive deep into all of the keywords on which a competitor is placing ads and see the share of voice per app advertiser, all in a single view.
- Keyword Defense: Find out which of your organic keywords are most at risk from competitive paid search, so that you can protect your organic traffic.
Introducing: data.ai App IQ – Illuminating the Digital Landscape with a New Taxonomy
App IQ provides a deep and robust taxonomy (19 genres / 152 subgenres) with granular insights into competitive features.
With App IQ, enterprises can now identify new partnership opportunities, and competitive threats and quickly react to the ever-changing landscape. Additionally, App IQ identifies all features, from monetization methods to social features, to give a comprehensive product overview of an app. Product teams can leverage granular competitive insights to efficiently prioritize proven capabilities to maximize consumer engagement.
App IQ helps you:
- Shorten the product innovation lifecycle
- Understand and quantify relevant market opportunities
- Identify capabilities and features that drive performance and maximize customer engagement
Maximize App Store Revenue with IAP SKU (In-App Purchase SKU)
Discover the highest-performing IAP SKUs and gain granular visibility into consumer trends and price elasticity. For the first time, IAP SKU helps Identify the most popular items (ex: subscriptions or one-time purchases) and how consumers respond to price points across different markets. Unlock sophisticated IAP strategies optimized for your app mechanics and accelerate your path to maximize revenue. data.ai IAP SKU can help you:
- Understand your competitors’ IAP SKU performance
- Leverage insights into consumer trends and behavior
- Build a world-class offering based on proven IAP Strategies
data.ai Game IQ: game taxonomy and deep tagging layered on the industry standard for market intelligence
Gone are the days of struggling to granularly segment the gaming industry. Easily slice and dice game analytics by class, genre, and subgenre. Then filter by tags to see how IP, art style, gameplay, theme, or monetization mechanics can impact a game’s success.
Granular market sizing and other gaming reports:
- Market Size
- See how specific types of games are performing by country/region, and identify markets with the most potential for growth.
- Size the market by country/region, game genre, subgenre, and tags. Identify global trends in the gaming industry and plot your next market expansion.
- Insights Generator (Enhanced for Games)
- See which games are succeeding at monetizing and engaging users.
- Find invaluable insights, such as which Racing games are monetizing users most effectively. Do they have certain gameplay features or art styles that are more effective than others?
- Top Games
- Use the Top Games report to discover games within specific niches, keep track of who you’re up against, and discover new threats emerging in the market.
- Top Companies
- With the Top Companies report, zoom out to the company level to get a broader understanding of where your competitors are focusing their efforts, which markets they’re pursuing, and how they’re gaining traction.
- Shared Users
- Where do your customers go when they’re not playing your game?
- See which games have the most shared players with your game, competitor games, and other game genres.
- Answer questions like: “What other game genres are Sports game users playing?”
data.ai ConnectPlus – The New Free Analytics Platform
ConnectPlus is a free platform with over 50 connectors including Apple, Google, Meta, multiple DSPs, SSPs, mediation, analytics and engagement platforms, that securely aggregates your data from multiple sources into a single unified view.
data.ai ConnectPlus covers all the baseline metrics generated from your app such as revenue and which keywords return your app, downloads by store, country and period and plenty more. This data (which you can access on the web, through the API, on mobile, through app reports or CSV file) can then be used to optimize your store’s page through App Store Optimization, also known as ASO.
On top of that, advertising metrics help you determine where your marketing budget is bringing in a good return on investment and where it isn’t. Examine revenues, conversion and click-through rates by campaign, vertical, ad platform, demographic data and much more.
To put it simply, data.ai ConnectPlus’ value proposition is: “All of your app data – All in one place.”
An overview of a dashboard in data.ai Connect to analyse the performance of your own apps as well as your marketing campaigns.
data.ai Ascend – Advertising Analytics
data.ai Ascend is a data aggregation, reporting and analytics SaaS that connects to supply-side and demand-side data partners. WIth over 400+ ad partner and store connections, Ascend helps monetization and advertising managers normalize and optimize their revenue and growth data.
Accelerate your advertising analytics: Aggregate and normalize all your ad revenue, IAP, and ad spend data in one place, so you can pivot quickly and accelerate revenue with ease.
Data Partners Integrated with data.ai Ascend
data.ai allows you to seamlessly connect from many data sources including Ad Networks, Mediation partners, App Stores, Usage partners, Acquisition platforms, Attribution platforms, and Data Cloud warehouses so that you don’t need to gather reports from different dashboards.
The data.ai 1st party platform uncovers areas for improvement in your properties for revenue generation or acquisition growth by:
- Monitoring and controlling the partner network
- Enriching and transforming data with ease
- Identifying value for optimization
- Data Connections: Facebook, Google, Ironsource, Amazon S3, Appsflyer, and 400+ additional partners
- Revenue metrics: eCPM, eCPM, Impressions, Clicks, Fill Rate, IAP revenue, Ad revenue, and more.
- Data Enriching Tools: Bulk Normalization, Pivot table analysis, revenue adjustments, custom dimension calculations, daily data connection
Together with the data.ai Ascend analytics software, data.ai is focusing on combining deep insights into your own advertising ecosystem with competitive and market benchmarking through the Intelligence product for a holistic mobile marketing strategy.
So now we’ve given you a run-down of the products, how much does data.ai cost?
data.ai’s model is what’s known as “Freemium”. Some features are free, but there are premium tiers you need to pay for.
Basic data.ai Connect is free for insight into high-level app performance – along with some of the features from data.ai Intelligence – with the more advanced data.ai Ascend platform priced through a SaaS model depending on impression counts and number of connections.
data.ai’s pricing structure is highly dependent on your needs and means – given that it can vary so much, they do not display prices on their website but require you to get in touch with them to get a quote. Generally, the price of the package will depend on the depth and the scope of the dataset requested. They have different offers and packages depending on your size in the store in terms of downloads, MAU and revenue.
For the latest packages, visit the data.ai Pricing Page.
The Market Estimates product has three tiers, of which the first is free. Prices will then depend on the category and the number of countries purchased, with annual subscriptions available.
The free tier for Intelligence has email-only support only, and results are delivered on their web UI.
data.ai ranking tables show top apps by downloads, revenue and usage.
data.ai is an extremely powerful tool and one of (if not the) best in its category. The company recently achieved the $100m revenue mark and constantly brings in new products in the market (the latest ones being Mobile web, SDK insights and paid versus organic downloads distribution). If you’re interested to access the paid version, you will need to submit a request via their information request page.
Without a doubt market intelligence, app store and app analytics are a key part of any app-related business strategy, and data.ai delivers on all three. Coupled with a world-class dashboard and a broad range of metrics, it really is a perfect tool to see how your app is performing and what it could be doing better; that said, if the potential price puts you off, there are plenty of other alternatives, starting from the very accessible price of free.
data.ai has clearly established the mobile standard and now becomes the unified data standard. As the trusted source for the digital economy, our mission is to be the first Unified Data AI company that combines consumer and market data to provide insights powered by artificial intelligence. We passionately serve enterprise clients to create winning digital experiences for their customers.
data.ai (formerly App Annie) Services
- data.ai Intelligence (App Analytics)
- data.ai Free Intelligence (Free App Analytics)
- data.ai Ascend (Mobile Advertising)
- data.ai ConnectPlus (Your App Data in One Place)
Theodore Krantz is the Chief Executive Officer at data.ai. Ted has over 25 years of senior-level experience leading high-growth sales organizations across the technology industry. Most recently he served as CRO for global marketing software provider Kenshoo, where he led global sales and customer operations for three years. Prior to Kenshoo, he held senior-level sales positions at SAP and PeopleSoft. Ted holds an M.B.A, International Business and a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Texas.
44 Montgomery St, 3rd Floor 3rd FL, Suite 800
San Francisco, CA 94104
Bertolt-Brecht-Platz 3, Design Offices
7 Albemarle Street
London, W1S 4HQ
8, Avenue Hoche
Sanlitun Soho 8 Chaoyang District , Suite 2701, Tower B
data.ai (formerly App Annie) Data
Sources: Company Data, Press Reports, Linkedin, Twitter, Owler, SimilarWeb
data.ai (formerly App Annie) Info
|App Analytics, App Marketing, Growth Marketing, Mobile Marketing, User Acquisition